There have been times when a travel pack of three-ply tissues has been the most important item in my daypack. Without going into too much detail, those times have usually involved an upset stomach and a public toilet. While on the subject of public toilets, in many countries soap isn’t provided so travelling with soap leaves makes sense for those occasions when cleaning with water needs a helping hand. Throw a bottle of hand sanitizer into the mix, along with those other “little things” promoting hygiene and comfort, and a sizeable collection of useful travel products begins to take shape. The need to have them organized and readily accessible prompted me to create a travel comfort pack to carry with me at all times.
My travel comfort pack
My comfort pack is a small fabric pouch measuring 5.5 by 4.5 by 1.5 inches (14 by 11.5 by 4 centimetres). Empty, it weighs just .5 ounces (14 grams). It has four internal compartments to keep things organized so there’s no need to rummage through my bag looking for individual items. The Velcro flap ensures the packed pouch remains closed and compact. A removable wrist strap adds functionality when taking it to a washroom. The comfort pack can be hung on a hook so there’s no need to place it on a surface of questionable cleanliness.
My personal carry on and day-use bag is a 19-litre Tom Bihn Synapse 19 backpack. The comfort pack shares the bottom compartment of my Synapse 19 with a small first aid kit. Both readily transfer to my pocket shopping bag (ChicoBag Vita) when pressed into service as a beach bag, or to a bike pannier on cycling trips. This way, I just need to remember to transfer one pouch instead of several individual items.
Contents of my travel comfort pack
- 50-leaf pack of pocket hand wash leaves (Sea to Summit)
- 6 towel tablets (TowTabs/Wysi Wipes/dollar store towel tabs)
- travel pack of 3-ply tissues to double as emergency toilet paper
- sanitizer for hands (30 ml Purell)
- sanitizer for hands, objects and surfaces (10-pack Prevens)
- moisturizing lotion (10 ml Glysomed)
- sunscreen lip balm (Banana Boat Aloe Vera with Vitamin E SPF 45)
- breath freshener (Listerine Breath Strips)
- interdental toothpicks (The Doctor’s Brush Picks)
- stick stain remover (Tide-to-Go Mini 3.5 ml)
- tiny jar of Boroleum for air travel
My travel comfort pack was created by Couture par Carmen Maillet. If you are interested in a similar pouch, contact Carmen on Facebook.
Do you have a similar travel aid? If so, what does it contain? If you’ve published a post or pictures, please include a link in your comments.